Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Never...ever...give up hope.



I was resistant to see this film, resistant may be an understatement...I believe that my exact words were 'if I ever see 'He's just not that into' I might have to kill myself'.

Back in 2005 I read the much hyped book by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. Instead of making me feel empowered and beautiful it left me feeling empty, embarrassed and defeated. Is this really the way that men felt? Have I been making an ass out of myself this whole time? Apparently the answer is yes.

Okay. What now? You sit around and wait for 'it' to happen? Isn't that tantamount to waiting for your White Knight to rescue you from the tower? I believe in putting yourself out there and you know what happens when you put yourself out there? You get hurt. And it sucks. A lot. However , as Gigi (the film equivalent of me) says "I may do a lot of stupid shit but I also know that I am a lot closer to finding love than you are." And that is what made me think that maybe this movie wouldn't be all bad. In the end it was about having hope...or faith. Faith in yourself.

The movie made a few other good points about love and dating. For instance, Drew Barrymore's character was experiencing the exhaustion of being rejected by 'seven different types of technology' stating that technology is necessary because 'people don't meet each other organically anymore'. Justin Long's character enlightened women everywhere by telling us that the 'spark is bullshit', it's just something that men invented so that they can have sex with women on the first date and later blame it on 'the spark'. Ouch...and oh my God yes.

In the end, all the story lines were tied up nicely with marriages, passionate kisses and optimistic new relationships. I wonder if that was supposed to erase the audiences new knowledge that they have wasted years of their lives on fruitless relationships? It didn't do that for me but it was still a cute film.

P.S. I would like to pose a question...is it ironic or pathetic that during the movie 'he's just not that into you' I text messaged the guy who is 'just not that into me'? Oh well, at least I'm self aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment