Saturday, March 28, 2009

“Italy, and the spring and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy.”


"What are four walls anyways? They are what they contain. The house protects the dreamer."
I have always loved the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun". It is a story of challenge, rediculous risk taking, working hard, making friends and rediscovering oneself...and it helps that it's all set in the beautiful Tuscan countryside at Bramasole.
When I first read the book (which is very different from the film) I fell in love with the culture of the Italy. The food (recipes with olive oil, tomatoes, cheese and bread), the people (men who clap for your beauty and women who live their lives being worshiped like modern day goddesses) and the simple way that some of these people live their lives (working, taking a break for wine and a book and going home to family).
What I love most about Italy is it's sumptuousness. It's decadence. When I think of Italy I think of hunks of cheese and bread, tiny cups of espresso, sitting in a Piaza surrounded by beautiful architecture with gorgeous men whizzing by on brightly coloured Vespa's. I think of fashion (both cheap and chic and expensive and exquisite), I think of art (music, theatre and paintings) and I think of history (it is the place where everything began and the place that everything still revolves around).
I desperatley want to go to Italy someday.
Where do you want to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment