Sunday, February 8, 2009

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

So, today while I was working I had $20 stolen from my wallet. The $20 is not a big deal. Truth is, if the person had asked me for it I probably would have given it to them.

It's the principal of the thing.

I feel violated and paranoid. Now I am wondering why they didn't take any of my credit cards or personal information...or did they? It also makes me wonder about the people that I work with and the environment that I work in. I am not the kind of person who thinks the worst of others but when something like this happens...then you have to rethink that optimistic outlook.

I quite honestly do not believe it was not a Canadian who stole my money because I hope they would know that they could just ask me and I would gladly give it to them. I also find it difficult to believe that it would be anyone from the kitchen...that leaves a few options but mostly I am thinking it may have been on of the custodial cast members who are in and out of the location and don't know the cast members very well.

When I first noticed that the money was stolen I was angry....but then I thought...maybe the person who took it really needed it. I know that some of the people that I work with don't make that much money and perhaps they needed this $20 more than I did. Maybe they needed it to feed their family, or pay for their car insurance, or get a new pair of work shoes. And...I guess that's fine. I am trying to look at this in a positive and Christian way...is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your family? Who am I to judge?

Theft is something that happens in this world. It's a fact. I will learn a lesson from this experience and be more careful with my belongings but I would also like to think that I have gained a bit of perspective as well.

"I would like to make a toasst to lying, stealing, cheating and drinking. If you're going to lie, lie for a friend. If you're going to steal, steal a heart. If your going to cheat, cheat death. And if you're going to drink, drink with me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment