Wednesday, July 14, 2010

“Why is it that hate comes out so easily, yet...love? It gets trapped inside.”


I think I may use the word "hate" too often.
It's convienent, the word has all the power of an expletive without all the drama.
I suppose I don't really understand the power behind the sentiment.
I use it to express frustration, anger, hurt and disappointment.
"I hate you."
"I hate her."
"I hate him."
"I hate this."
"Hate: the emotion of intense dislike; a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action."
Yikes.
When I use the word I certainly do not intend for it to be taken in the true meaning.
For instance:
I hate that my office doesn't have air conditioning.
I hate that my car uses so much gas.
I hate that my internet is so slow.
I hate that I don't have cable.
I hate Miley Cirus.
I hate traffic.
I hate...
Tonight when I used the word "hate" in reference to a person I really don't care for.
In response,the person I was speaking with said "I don't hate anyone..."
I was shocked.
"You don't hate anyone? What about Hitler?"
His extremely insightful (albeit, out of character) response was:
"Hate is what made Hitler who he was."
Oh.
Wow.
I wish I could say something warm and fuzzy here like:
"let's take all of the hate in the world and replace it with love"
but that's extremely unrealistic.
However, perhaps the first step is restricting the use of the word "hate" in our vocabulary.
Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment