Friday, July 23, 2010

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”


I have always worried that the contributions that I make to the world may not be enough.
I didn't donate enough money...
enough thought...
enough effort...
enough time...


Is the job that I am doing making a positive contribution to the universe? How am I helping the victims of an earthquake halfway around the world by planning parties in Canada?

What is the legacy that I am leaving?
When I was in therapy I would voice these concerns to my therapist, her response was that I was comparing apples to oranges...it is impossible fix all of the problems of the world. You can only do what you can do. Last night I found a similar message in "The Happiness Project".

"We expect heroic virtue to look flashy -- moving to Uganda to work with Aids victims, perhaps, or documenting the plight of the homeless people in Detroit. (Saint) Therese's examples shows that ordinary life, too, is full of opportunities for worth, if inconspicuous, virtue."

Never underestimate the contribution that you are making to the universe. And don't let anyone else devalue your contribution. Whether you are doing something small like helping to plan a fundraiser, donating $10 to a charity or volunteering or something big like dedicating your life to a not-for-profit organization or working in a research lab on the cure for cancer...every little bit helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment