Wednesday, October 13, 2010

“If you blame others for your failures, do you credit them with your success?”

Blame: The state of being responsible for a fault or error; culpability.
Responsibility: Something for which one is responsible; a duty, obligation, or burden.
Not every workplace is ideal. Responsibilities are not always well defined therefore...sometimes things fall through the cracks. Tasks don't get done or they are done incorrectly - it happens, we're human. However, what bothers me the most is when no one takes ownership for their mistakes. When I say "ownership" I don't necessarily mean "oops, I messed up, I'm sorry" (although that is nice). What I mean is - seeing a problem -> looking for a solution -> putting the solution into practice. Often, instead of ownership, people just pass the buck...they don't want to make the tough decision or have the awkward conversation...instead they want to "think about it".
I know that I am new to the corporate world and it is easy for those on the "outside" to criticize. I admit that I don't have to concern myself with the bottom line, answer to the owners or reach a sales goal. I am only accountable for my small list of responsibilities however my pay scale and benefits reflect that level of responsibility. However, sadly, the people on the "outside", the people with that level of responsibility and corresponding pay scale, are the ones who have to deal with the day to day challenges which arise out of the indecisiveness.
In the end, I suppose it is just one of life's little frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment