Monday, January 18, 2010

“Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods”

A few words on faith...
When I speak about faith I don't mean faith in God. Faith in God is something that I posses but I know it may not be your "cup of tea".

So what am I talking about?

When I was in high school I had a friend who would constantly say "Don't worry, the universe will provide" and that always made me feel nice. Like the universe would magically produce a blanket when I was cold or food when I was hungry. However, after a while I saw that it really wasn't the universe that was providing these things for me, it was people (more specifically, my parents).

So what should we have faith in?

Well, of course the obvious answer is people. We should have faith in people. Our friends, our family, our lovers. People are what makes this world a happy place. However, after so many broken hearts and so much devastation in the world at the hands of "people" it is difficult to believe in them anymore, isn't it? What about all the murderers and thieves, the crooked cops and the abusive partners?

It is very easy to lose faith in people.
However, what about the time your best friend sent you a care package when you were living away from home?
Or the time that your parents came out to a play you were starring in and cheered extra loud?
Or what about the person who holds the door open for you at school?
Or the man in front of you at Tim Hortons that pays for your coffee?
Or when a teacher told you they were proud of you?
Or when a stranger said "Bless you" after you sneezed?
What about all of those little things that happen every single day that you look past? The things that you forget about as quickly as they happen.
I believe that these little things can save your faith.
Your faith in God. (if you so choose)
Your faith in the Universe.
Your faith in man.
Because really.
It's all the same.

1 comment: