Tuesday, November 10, 2009

“The real and lasting victories are those of peace, and not of war.”

Please thank a Veteran today.

I will be thanking my Grandfather, who worked as a navigator during WWII. He jumped from a plane to save his life and ended up in the prison of war camp Stalag Luft I until the war ended. The POW camp was especially difficult for him because he had a German last name but was fighting for the Canadians.

I will also be thanking my Nana, who was a Sargent in WWII. She worked on Canadian soil but was every bit as brave and committed as those who went overseas.

I wish I could still call and thank my Papa, who taught pilots how to fly the Harvard aircraft during WWII. Just before he died he was able to have one last flight in his beloved Harvard and when he got home he added that flight to his log book from WWII.


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae (1872 - 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment